Becoming an instant band is the grand prize in this amazing contest — Instaband!
The best high school bands in central Ohio are competing to win a studio EP, music video, concert booking support and graphic design.
Students enrolled in the revolutionary music career program at GROOVE U are producing this one-of-a-kind contest through two semifinal rounds — East and West. Each semifinal round will include ten performers, and the top four performers from each semifinal round will advance to the Finals. One fan-voted wild card performer from each semifinal round will join the other semifinal winners to compete for the grand prize recording contract.
All winners are determined by a combination of 60% experienced music industry judges and 40% audience voting.
Proceeds from the ticket sales will be equally divided among our beneficiaries who instill an appreciation of music in youth and young adults every day.
READ ME TOO!
- Instaband is open to all central Ohio high school artists, just follow the rules.
- All types of performers are accepted — solo artists, duos, trios, and of course bands. However, performers have to perform with live instrumentation. I.e., no karaoke. Rap/Hip-Hop and EDM can use prerecorded beats in their live performance, provided the beats are original compositions.
- All genres are accepted — pop, rock ‘n roll, rap, metal, hip-hop, singer/songwriter, country, trance/electronica, Christian/gospel, etc.
- Create an .mp3, link to existing content (E.g., Sonicbids, Bandcamp, Soundcloud), or link to a video (E.g., YouTube, Vimeo) for your two song submission. Keep in mind only one of your songs can be a cover.
- Register using the online form and submit your material for consideration. Make sure you don’t miss the deadline of Monday, December 5, 2016 at 11:59 PM!
- If you are selected as a semifinalist, you will be notified via email.
- Before you show-up to perform consider how your gear will “plug-and-play” with the backline.
- Your submission is not judged on quality, but the better you can make your recording the more likely it is the judges will “get it”.
- If your submission includes one cover, keep it interesting by bringing your own unique style to it.
- Practice, practice, practice! Great performances are so well-rehearsed they are part of the performer’s subconscious. The more you practice, the better your performance will be.
- Keep in mind that if you are selected, you will only have 10 minutes to perform, so pick your best songs. Also keep in mind that you may only perform original songs if you are selected.
- Get your friends to come to your show. Because 40% of the voting depends on the audience, the more fans you bring the better your chances of advancing to and winning the finals.